Saturday, June 2, 2012

Summer Saturday on Little Tybee

When I was pregnant with Mathieu, I remember sheepishly saying to a friend that of course I knew a baby was more important than kayaking, but I didn't want to give up my weekend kayak trips with my husband.  My friend agreed that these boat trips would cease ... for awhile ... but something even greater would occur after a time.  We would resume our kayaking adventures, but now as a family. 

This is not the first or second or even third time we've kayaked with Mathieu, but each time, Mathieu is just a little older and our trips are better and better.  Today was a perfect example.  We spent the whole day out on Little Tybee Island, exploring and swimming in the creeks.  We ate our lunch sitting in a "hot tub," -- a shallow tide pool heated by the sun, squished a lot of mud between our toes, laughed at the oysters spitting and the hundreds of fiddler crabs on the move, pretended we were tunas and a humpback whale, and jumped, splashed, and ran our way about the island and creeks.  The tide turned, and we headed back to our kayak where we were thankfully not only paddling with the current, but with the wind as well. 

Mathieu self-propelling with the aid of water wings!
The creek where we did most of our swimming
Mommy and Mathieu silliness


I was the tuna eating my blue fish


28 weeks pregnant.  Just 2 1/2 months to go!

No comments: